Basic usage: - Launch `normcap` - Select a region on the screen - Retrieve recognized text in clipboard
normcap alternatives and similar packages
Based on the "OCR" category.
Alternatively, view normcap alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
1.2 0.0 normcap VS SignalumTo explore creating an application that detects available connections at once from wifi and bluetooth
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of normcap or a related project?
<!-- markdownlint-disable MD013 MD026 MD033 -->
OCR powered screen-capture tool to capture information instead of images.
Install a prebuilt release:
- Windows: NormCap-0.3.15-x86_64-Windows.msi
- Linux: NormCap-0.3.15-x86_64.AppImage
- macOS: NormCap-0.3.15-x86_64-macOS.dmg \ (On macOS, allow the unsigned application on first start: "System Preferences" → "Security & Privacy" → "General" → "Open anyway". You might also need to allow NormCap to take screenshots. Background: #135)
Install from repositories:
- Arch / Manjaro: Install the
normcappackage from AUR.
- FlatPak (Linux): Install com.github.dynobo.normcap from FlatHub.
As an alternative to a prebuilt package you can install the NormCap Python package for Python >=3.9:
# Install dependencies (Ubuntu/Debian) sudo apt install build-essential tesseract-ocr tesseract-ocr-eng libtesseract-dev libleptonica-dev wl-clipboard ## Install dependencies (Arch) sudo pacman -S tesseract tesseract-data-eng wl-clipboard ## Install dependencies (Fedora) sudo dnf install tesseract wl-clipboard ## Install dependencies (openSUSE) sudo zypper install python3-devel tesseract-ocr tesseract-ocr-devel wl-clipboard # Install normcap pip install normcap # Run ./normcap
# Install dependencies brew install tesseract tesseract-lang # Install normcap pip install normcap # Run ./normcap
Tesseract 5 by using the
installer provided by UB Mannheim.
2. Adjust environment variables:
- Create an environment variable
TESSDATA_PREFIXand set it to Tesseract's data folder, e.g.:
setx TESSDATA_PREFIX "C:\Program Files\Tesseract-OCR\tessdata"
- Append Tesseract's location to the environment variable
setx Path "%Path%;C:\Program Files\Tesseract-OCR"
- Make sure to close and reopen your current terminal window to apply the new variables. Test it by running:
3. Install and run NormCap:
# Install normcap pip install normcap # Run normcap
Prerequisites for setting up a development environment are: Python >=3.9, Poetry>=1.2.0b2 and Tesseract (incl. language data).
# Clone repository git clone https://github.com/dynobo/normcap.git # Change into project directory cd normcap # Create virtual env and install dependencies poetry install # Register pre-commit hook poetry run pre-commit install # Run NormCap in virtual env poetry run python -m normcap
This project uses the following non-standard libraries:
- pyside6 - bindings for Qt UI Framework
- pytesseract - wrapper for tesseract's API
- jeepney - DBUS client
And it depends on external software:
Packaging is done with:
- briefcase - converting Python projects into standalone apps
Thanks to the maintainers of those nice tools!
Similar open source tools
If NormCap doesn't fit your needs, try those alternatives (no particular order):
- TextSnatcher (Linux)
- GreenShot (Linux, macOS)
- TextShot (Windows)
- gImageReader (Linux, Windows)
- Capture2Text (Windows)
- Frog (Linux)
- Textinator (macOS)
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the normcap README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.