Bulk downloads your favorite Spotify playlists
spotDL alternatives and similar packages
Based on the "Downloader" category.
Alternatively, view spotify-downloader alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
10.0 9.7 L3 spotDL VS youtube-dlA small command-line program to download videos from YouTube.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of spotDL or a related project?
<!--- mdformat-toc start --slug=github --->
Download your Spotify playlists and songs along with album art and metadata
The fastest, easiest, and most accurate command-line music downloader
What spotDL does
- Downloads music from YouTube as an MP3 file
- Applies basic metadata gathered from Spotify such as:
- Track Name
- Track Number
- Album Cover
- and more!
⚠ We have dropped the active development of spotDL v2 due to support and maintainability. No focused efforts will be made to resolve v2 specific issues.
- Python 3.6 or above (added to PATH)
- FFmpeg 4.3 or above (added to PATH)
YouTube Music must be available in your country for spotDL to work. This is because we use YouTube Music to filter search results. You can check if YouTube Music is available in your country, by visiting YouTube Music.
- Windows Tutorial
- OSX -
brew install ffmpeg
- Linux -
sudo snap install ffmpeg
- Recommended Stable Version:
pip install spotdl
- Dev Version: (NOT STABLE)
pip install https://codeload.github.com/spotDL/spotify-downloader/zip/dev
curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/spotDL/spotify-downloader/master/termux/setup_spotdl.sh | sh
- #### To download a song, run
- #### To download an album, run
- #### To download a playlist, run
- #### To search for and download a song, run, with quotation marks
spotdl 'The Weeknd - Blinding Lights'
Note: This is not accurate and often causes errors.
- #### To resume a failed/incomplete download, run
spotdl 'The Weeknd - Blinding Lights.spotdlTrackingFile'
.spotdlTrackingFiles are automatically created when a download starts and deleted on completion
- #### You can queue up multiple download tasks by separating the arguments with spaces
spotdl [songQuery1] [albumUrl] [songQuery2] ... (order does not matter)
spotdl 'The Weeknd - Blinding Lights' https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1E8UXBoz02kGID?si=oGd5ctlyQ0qblj_bL6WWow ...
Note: spotDL downloads up to 4 songs in parallel, so for a faster experience, download albums and playlist, rather than tracks.
pipx Isolated Environment Alternative
For users who are not familiar with
pipx, it can be used to run scripts without
installing the spotDL package and all the dependencies globally with pip. (Effectively
skipping over the spotDL Installation step)
First, you will need to install
pipx by running:
python3 -m pip install --user pipx python3 -m pipx ensurepath
Next, you can jump directly to running spotDL with:
pipx run spotdl ...
Interested in contributing? Check out our [CONTRIBUTING.md](docs/CONTRIBUTING.md) to find resources around contributing along with a guide on how to set up a development environment.
- @ritiek for creating and maintaining spotDL for 4 years
- @rocketinventor for figuring out YouTube Music querying
- @MikhailZex for, never mind...
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the spotDL README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.