pyIDM is a python open source (Internet Download Manager) with multi-connections, high speed engine, it downloads general files, videos, and playlist from youtube and tons of other streaming websites . Developed in Python, based on "pyCuRL/libcurl", "youtube_dl", and "PySimpleGUI"
PyIDM alternatives and similar packages
Based on the "Downloader" category.
Alternatively, view PyIDM alternatives based on common mentions on social networks and blogs.
* Code Quality Rankings and insights are calculated and provided by Lumnify.
They vary from L1 to L5 with "L5" being the highest. Visit our partner's website for more details.
Do you think we are missing an alternative of PyIDM or a related project?
PyIDM is a python open source (Internet Download Manager) with multi-connections, high speed engine, it downloads general files and videos from youtube and tons of other streaming websites . Developed in Python, based on "LibCurl", and "youtube_dl".
- High download speeds "based on LibCurl" - See Speed test of: aria2 vs PyIDM
- Multi-connection downloading "Multithreading"
- Automatic file segmentation.
- Resume uncompleted downloads, and Refresh expired urls.
- Support for Youtube, and a lot of stream websites "using youtube-dl to fetch info and libcurl to download data".
- download entire video playlist or selected videos.
- download fragmented video streams, and encrypted/nonencrypted HLS media streams.
- watch videos while downloading* "some videos will have no audio until finish downloading".
- download video subtitles.
- write video metadata to downloaded files.
- check for application updates.
- Scheduling downloads
- Re-using existing connection to remote server.
- Clipboard Monitor.
- proxy support (http, https, socks4, and socks5).
- MD5 and SHA256 checksums.
- user can control a lot of options:
- select and edit themes.
- set proxy.
- Speed limit.
- Max. Concurrent downloads.
- Max. connections per download.
How to use PyIDM:
Refer to user guide at https://github.com/pyIDM/PyIDM/blob/master/docs/user_guide.md
How to install PyIDM?
You have various options to install and run PyIDM on your operating system:
Windows portable version:
Latest Windows portable version available here.
unzip, and run from PyIDM.exe, no installation required.
python -m pip install pyidm --upgrade --no-cache
then you can run application from Terminal by:
python -m pyidmnote pyidm name in small letters
pyidman executable "i.e. pyidm.exe on windows" will be located at "python/scripts", if it doesn't work append "python/scripts" folder to PATH.
run from github source code: PyIDM is a python app. so, it can run on any platform that can run python, To run from source, you have to have a python installed, "supported python versions is 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8", then download or clone this repository, and run PyIDM.py (it will install the other required python packages automatically if missing) if PyIDM failed to install required packages, you should install it manually, refer to "Dependencies" section below.
Build PyIDM yourself:
- get the source code from github: (recommended for latest updated
version, also shallow clone is preferred)
git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/pyIDM/PyIDM.git
- get the source code from github: (recommended for latest updated version, also shallow clone is preferred)
or get the source code from PyPi:
navigate to https://pypi.org/project/pyIDM/#files and download a tar ball, example file name "pyIDM-2020.3.22.tar.gz", then extract it
open your terminal or command prompt and navigate to pyidm folder then type below command
python setup.py install
run PyIDM from Terminal by typing:
python -m pyidmor just
download source (shallow clone is preferred):
git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/pyIDM/PyIDM.git
sudo apt install ffmpeg fonts-symbola libcurl4-openssl-dev libssl-dev python3-pip python3-pil python3-pil.imagetk python3-tk
python3 setup.py install --user
python3 -m pyidm
important note on Tkinter for mac users:
- as mentioned in "python.org" the Apple-supplied Tcl/Tk 8.5 has serious bugs that can cause application crashes. If you wish to use Tkinter, do not use the Apple-supplied Pythons. Instead, install and use a newer version of Python from python.org or a third-party distributor that supplies or links with a newer version of Tcl/Tk. refer to issue #113
below are the requirements to run from source:
- Python 3.6+: tested with python 3.6 on windows, and 3.7, 3.8 on linux
- ffmpeg : for merging audio with youtube DASH videos "it will be installed automatically on windows"
Required python packages:
- pycurl: is a Python interface to libcurl / curl as our download engine,
- youtube_dl: famous youtube downloader, limited use for meta information extraction only but videos are downloaded using pycurl
- youtube-dlc: community version of youtube-dl
- certifi: required by 'pycurl' for validating the trustworthiness of SSL certificates,
- plyer: for systray area notification.
- awesometkinter: for application gui.
- pillow: imaging library for python
- pystray: for systray icon
** please read notes below
PyIDM application will do its best to install missing packages automatically once you run it. or you can install required packages manually using:
pip install -r requirements.txt
python -m pip install --user --upgrade certifi plyer youtube_dl pycurl pillow pystray awesometkinter
what is the benefit of open source, compared to closed-source/Proprietary software if both are free?
As said, "if the product is free, then you are the product", most free closed-source software collect data about you, some of them are toxic and plant trojans and spy-wares in your system, with open source, nothing hidden, and source code exposed to thousands of programmers, no one can play dirty games.
Need to mention, this project is never made to compete with other download managers, it is just a "hopefully useful" addition.
note for pycurl:
for windows users:
normal pip install i.e
python -m pip install pycurl might fail on windows because you need to build libcurl on your system first which is a headache.
your best choice if pip fail is to download exe file for pycurl from its official download link, find the file that match your windows system and python version installed on your system, last checked on 12-06-2020, found available files for almost all Python versions upto version 3.8
example: if you have python 3.6 installed on windows 32bit, you should download "pycurl-18.104.22.168.win32-py3.6.exe" file and install it, another example: if you have python 3.7 running on windows 64 bit, you should choose and download "pycurl-22.214.171.124.win-amd64-py3.7.exe" file
other download options include a wheel, zip file, or even a windows installer
for linux users: there is no issues, since most linux distros have curl preinstalled, so pycurl will link with libcurl library to get built with no issues, checked with python versions 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8 working with no problems.
note for Youtube-dl:
youtube website changes frequently, if this application failed to retrieve video/playlist data you should update youtube-dl module thru PyIDM setting tab or manually by
python -m pip install youtube_dl --upgrade
Versions change log:
ChangeLog.txt is included in source code.
How to contribute to this project:
1- by testing the application and opening
new issue for bug
reporting, feature request, or suggestions.
2- check developer guidelines.
3- check todo list.
4- check open issues, see if you can help.
5- fork this repo and pull request
Some recent articles/reviews on this project*:
*help edit this list by writing a comment in this issue
Please check contributors.md for a list of contributors