PTVS v3.0.0-preview5 Release NotesRelease Date: 2016-10-07 // over 5 years ago
🚀 We're pleased to announce the release of Visual Studio "15" Preview 5 with Python language support.
🚀 Python tools and language support for Visual Studio includes open-source plug-ins for Visual Studio and distributions to support programming with the Python language. It also lets you bring your own Python interpreter, including CPython, IronPython, PyPy, and more, and supports a broad range of features from editing with IntelliSense to interactive debugging, profiling, interactive REPLs with support for IPython, cross-platform and cross-language debugging support, package management with Pip, and deployment to Microsoft Azure.
🌐 We also have a Sample Pack containing extra templates for Django, Flask and Bottle web sites. Our Machine Learning Pack contains some samples for the scikit-learn library and Python code generation for Azure Machine Learning web services.
Requirements and Installation
Python support is available as part of Visual Studio "15" Preview 5.
📈 Visual Studio "15" introduces the concept of scenario-specific workloads. Depending on your use cases, you can get Python support by selecting either the Python Development workload or the Data Science and Analytics workload.
- Intellisense improvements.
- REPL Improvements - Ctrl+Enter shortcut and code cells.
- 🏁 Interactive Entry Points – create and pick backend for an arbitrary number of interactive windows with a single entry point.
- Project template for creating C extensions.
- Completions for file name.
- Shared assemblies for common code.
- 🛠 Numerous editor, debugger, and core experience bug fixes.
The following significant issues have been resolved since the last preview:
- 🚚 Formatting document (ctrl-k,d) removes async keyword in front of "async for"
- 👍 PEP 526 Syntax support
- 📦 NullReferenceException when clicking "Install Python Package" without Python Environments window
- 🏗 Build fails when Lightweight Project Load is enabled
- Install from requirements.txt command doesn't prompt for elevation
- Can't create virtual environment on Data Science workload Anaconda
- 📦 Package uninstall from solution explorer doesn't prompt to elevate
- Double backslash in Python environments prevent from opening interpreter folder
- Profiling doesn't work on dev15
🚀 Your feedback and suggestions are much appreciated. To report issues or to review the complete list of known issues for this release, please visit our issues page.
Earlier Visual Studio Versions
🚀 If you are unable to obtain any of the editions of Visual Studio "15", the last release of PTVS for Visual Studio 2015 was PTVS 2.2.5, the last release of PTVS for Visual Studio 2015 was PTVS 2.2.2 and for Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 was PTVS 2.1.1.