ObsPy alternatives and similar packages
Based on the "Science" category
Do you think we are missing an alternative of ObsPy or a related project?
ObsPy is an open-source project dedicated to provide a Python framework for processing seismological data. It provides parsers for common file formats, clients to access data centers and seismological signal processing routines which allow the manipulation of seismological time series (see Beyreuther et al. 2010, Megies et al. 2011, Krischer et al. 2015).
The goal of the ObsPy project is to facilitate rapid application development for seismology.
ObsPy is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) v3.0.
A one-hour introduction to ObsPy is available at YouTube.
Installation instructions can be found in the wiki.
ObsPy Tutorial notebooks -- and much more on specific seismology topics -- can also be found on Seismo-Live, both as a static preview and as interactively runnable version.
from obspy import read st = read() # load example seismogram st.filter(type='highpass', freq=3.0) st = st.select(component='Z') st.plot()
Documentation and Changelog
The detailed changelog is available [here](CHANGELOG.txt), our docs can be found at docs.obspy.org.
Please see details on how to contribute to the project [here](CONTRIBUTING.md).
- Moritz Beyreuther, Robert Barsch, Lion Krischer, Tobias Megies, Yannik Behr and Joachim Wassermann (2010), ObsPy: A Python Toolbox for Seismology, SRL, 81(3), 530-533, doi:
- Tobias Megies, Moritz Beyreuther, Robert Barsch, Lion Krischer, Joachim Wassermann (2011), ObsPy – What can it do for data centers and observatories? Annals Of Geophysics, 54(1), 47-58, doi:
- Lion Krischer, Tobias Megies, Robert Barsch, Moritz Beyreuther, Thomas Lecocq, Corentin Caudron and Joachim Wassermann (2015), ObsPy: a bridge for seismology into the scientific Python ecosystem, Computational Science & Discovery, 8(1), 014003, doi:
- concept DOI, that always resolves to latest ObsPy versions:
10.5281/zenodo.1040769(see Zenodo FAQ)
- specific version DOIs for all released ObsPy versions
*Note that all licence references and agreements mentioned in the ObsPy README section above are relevant to that project's source code only.